Monday, 29 September 2014

Types of music videos

Music videos 


I will be discussing the purpose and style of music videos, I am doing this in order to get an understanding of different music videos which artists make. This will give me ideas on what kind of music video that I will like to produce. 
There are different codes and conventions of music videos I will list these which are: 
  • Famous people or protagonist character 
  • Costumes and make-up 
  • Narrative 
  • Background 
  • Camera angles such as the main ones e.g. Close up shot and Wide shot 
  • Mise-en-scene 
  • Movement such as dancing which is commonly in music video this is to entertain audiences making them want to get involved 
  • Lighting 
  • Music such as the beat, rhythm 
What is the purpose of a music video? 
This is more of an marketing tool to enhance the image of artist used for a promotional tool for people to buy or watch their music videos e.g. YouTube and buy CD'S. Secondly to entertain their targeted audience. 
There are different types of music video I will list them below. 

Performance video  

What is it? 
This video is to capture a live performance this is to entertain also shows excitement to the audience, the reason for doing a performance video is to make the audience feel involved with the music video.  this type of music video is when a performer performs in front of the camera for most of the video. this type of music video rely on the audience paying attention souly on the artist performing. Below is an example of what I mean. 

Narrative Video


What is it? 
This video tells a story with a beginning, middle and end. This video uses actors rather than showing the band or artist themselves, this type of video is also used if the song is used in a film and therefore is a range of sense from the movie also cut into the music video. Below is an example of what I mean. 

Conceptual video

What is it?
This video is neither performance or narrative the visual are appropriate (representing an idea) this type of video shows creativity and keeps the audience guessing. Below is an example of what I mean. 

Interpretative video

What is it?
This shows the lyrics of the song to match the images shown, this makes sure the audience gets a better understanding of the music video. Below is an example of what I mean. 

Animation Video

What is it?
This type of music video realise on either hands on drawing or CGI. This type of music video made will save time on the production of a music video, secondly this appeals to young children. Below is an example of what I mean.

Surreal Video

This type of music video is an abstract music against reality. Below is an example of what I mean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment